Register a Food Business Establishment
How we use your information (Data Protection)
We collect, use and store personal information (in line with the UK Data Protection laws). Your information will be used for the following purpose:
- registering your food business on the food premises register as required by law
- sending you our optional quarterly Food Focus newsletter
- contacting you in relation to your food business
We will also use your information:
- to deliver and improve our services
- for the prevention and/or detetection of crime and to carry out enforcement action (where required)
- to check your details are correct across the authority e.g. business rates, licensing
- to identify other services that may benefit you e.g. other council services but we would check with you first before doing so
See our privacy notice to learn more about how we use your information.
Storing your data
We have a duty to protect data and treat your information securely. As part of this, we only transfer or share information when we have everything in place to make it safe and legal.
Public protection services may pass information to different council departments. For example, in the case of purchasing one of our services, we will provide the corporate billing department with the name, address and billing instructions. However, information is generally not routinely shared with others.
If appropriate, information may be shared with other council services, and bodies such as the Police, HMRC, other local authorities, fire and rescue services etc. where required in order to fulfil a statutory function or for reasons of safeguarding or public safety.
We will not routinely share your information with other council departments unless we need to do so and it is linked to your food business e.g. if your food business sells alcohol we may need to inform our licensing department. If you decide to close the business and you let us know then we will remove your details from our database.
More information about how we store and retain your data.
We will always tell you what we are using your data for. You have a number of rights in relation to how we use your personal data. Find out more about your data protection rights and how you can exercise them. Our privacy hub provides information on what to do if you are unhappy with how we have handled your data.