Privacy notice for Public Protection Services

What do we use the information for?

Public protection services use this information, on behalf of East Riding of Yorkshire Council, to deliver a variety of services including:

  • Environmental health, animal health, pest control and dog warden service, trading standards, food safety and standards, licensing and private sector housing.
  • The service responds to service requests, investigates complaints and allegations, carries out inspections and visits, grants licences and regulates businesses under a wide range of laws (see below).

What information do we hold and use?

Public protection services hold personal data in order to carry out their statutory and regulatory functions including giving business advice.

Public protection services collect and process the following pertinent information:

  • details of inspections, visits and investigations
  • owners of properties and businesses
  • applicants for licenses and registrations
  • victims of bad practice
  • people with notifiable diseases andi
  • details of enquiry, complaint or request

The types of information being held will include names, addresses, contact details, ages and ownership information. Where necessary it may also include health information, ethnicity, criminal records, allegations and other specific details needed by services to carry out functions.

Because the information is being used to carry out one of our legal obligations, this means in most cases we do not require you to provide your consent. If this is not the case, and we do not have a legal obligation to use your information we would always try to ask.

On what grounds do we use the information?

Public protection services have a legal obligation and statutory duty to process certain information under a number of regulations including:

  • Health & Safety at Work Act (1974)
  • Environment Act 1995
  • Licensing Act 2003 and Gambling Act 2005
  • Housing Act 2004
  • Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005
  • Anti Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014
  • Environmental Damage (Prevention and Remediation) Regulations 2009
  • Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976
  • Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996 and Health Act 2006
  • Housing Act 1985
  • Consumer Protection Act 1987
  • Control of pollutions Act 1974
  • Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982

This list is not exhaustive and further information is available on the Council’s website referring to the relevant service area ie taxi licensing , food hygiene registration.

We will use the contact details you provide to us to contact you to progress your application. We will use the other information you provide to assess your suitability for the licence or registration you have applied for.

How do we collect this information?

The data is collected using a variety of methods such as the online forms on the East Riding website, calling or visiting the customer service centres or contacting the department directly via email..

The service will obtain personal information from complainants; from applications; in the course of visits, investigations and inspections; and from other bodies such as the Police, HM Revenues and Customs (HMRC), Immigration services, other local authorities, fire and rescue services etc. where required in order to fulfil our statutory functions.

Who we share your information with?

Public protection services will pass information to different council departments. For example, in the case of purchasing one of our services, we will provide the corporate billing department with the name, address and billing instructions. However, information is generally not routinely shared with others.

If appropriate, information may be shared with other council services, and bodies such as the Police, HMRC, other local authorities, fire and rescue services etc. where required in order to fulfil a statutory function or for reasons of safeguarding or public safety.

How long do we store it and is it secure?

Public protection services has a retention schedule in place to ensure that information is only held for as long as it is needed. For information on how long your information will held, visit the Find a privacy notice page.

The information is held on secure computer systems or files that can only be accessed by authorised staff. The information you provide us will be used to fulfil our statutory and regulatory obligations.

What rights do you have?

The rights that you have depend upon the grounds upon which your information is collected. All of the rights you could have outlined on the general data protection page. For the purpose of delivery and administration of public protection services legal obligations, statutory duties and discretionary services and/or to comply with contractual obligations relating to them, individuals will have the following rights:

  • The right of access - You are entitled to see the information public protection services holds about you and can request a copy by emailing:
  • The right to rectification - If you believe any information the public protection services holds about you to be incorrect, please email: and we will amend the information accordingly
  • The right to erasure/right to be forgotten - public protection services has determined that all requests to permanently delete a service user record will be dealt with on an individual basis. All requests for deletion should be sent to
  • The right to restrict processing - Should you wish public protection services to limit how we use your data please email with the reason for your request.
  • The right to data portability - public protection services has determined that there will be no requirement for data portability.
  • The right to object - In addition to the right to limit the use of your data, you also have a right to object to the use of your data for certain actions.

Where can I find out more?

If you want to know more about how the council uses information, your rights or have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance.

Contact details are available on the general privacy information page.

Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office